In 1893 the Gantous brand was born in a small quarter of the city of Zahleh where every family distilled part of its own vineyard to make it’s arak & wine.
In 1947 the arak brand Gantous & Abou Raad was introduced on the Lebanese market by a joint venture of the Gantous and the Abou Raad families, both were producing arak separately since the 1890s.
Solifed S.A.R.L. was formed in 1971 when the Wardys bought Abou Raad’s 51% share of the business, and introduced two new brands of arak Al Najjar and Al Arrab, as well as vinegar.
In 1973 Gantous & Abou Raad became Lebanon’s best selling brand of arak, a position it continues to hold today.
Gantous & Abou Raad wins it’s first Medal at the 1981 Leipzig Fair in Germany.
1989 saw the Wardys start their own vineyard with an eye for producing high quality wines. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz, Merlot, Marselan, Arinarnoa, Cinsault, Caladoc, Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay vines were imported from France for that purpose.
In 1996 Solifed launched Arak Wardy a new superior brand of arak.
Later that same year Messrs. Wardy bought the remaining shares from Messrs. Gantous and set about modernizing the winery.
Domaine Wardy was launched on the Lebanese market in November 1999 with a full range of wines:
· Two reds (Chateau les Cedres and Les Terroirs),
· Two whites (Perle du Chateau Chardonnay and Clos Blanc),
· One rose (Rose du Printemps).
A few months later Perle du Chateau Chardonnay recieves Domaine Wardy’s first Medal in Montreal Canada
In 2000 Solifed introduced the Lebanese consumer to the varietal wines with four highly successful additions:
· Cabernet Sauvignon.
· Sauvignon Blanc.
Solifed’s exports grew from 3% in 1996 to 60% in 2000; and our products continue to win international awards and medals all over the world.
In 2002 Wardy launches its Christmas Wine & the Château Les Cèdres Magnum (150cl.): The largest range of magnum bottles soon joins the largest selection of Lebanese wines.
- · Within a few years, Wardy becomes the 3rd wine brand in Lebanon while maintaining its leadership position in arak production.
- In 2003: Wardy introduces Private Selection a 1st with premium white wine in Lebanon thus further widening its range.
- In 2004: Wardy launches its Cedars Campaign, a 1st of a series, thus becoming the 1st winery to support the preservation of Lebanon’s heritage for the generations to come.
- In 2005: Wardy introduces the Les Terroirs 4-Pack (4x20cl.) & launches its Cuvée Du Liban limited edition (10,452 numbered bottles representing the 10,452 km2 surface of Lebanon)
- Later that same year Wardy launches a book on zahle, the wine Capital of Lebanon (Zahle-LES PREUVES DU TEMPS) which shows the evolution and change of the city through Old & New photographs taken for the same places.
- In 2006: Wardy Introduces a full range Jeroboam bottles(300cl) “Chateau les Cèdres, Perle du Chateau, Sauvignon Blanc & Rosé du Printemps.
- In 2007: Wardy sponsors a book on Lebanon(Lebanon: Memories of a moment) to the memory of Aziz Khalil Wardy which contains beautiful photographs of all Lebanese areas.
- On March 11, 2008 Wardy received the ISO certificate 9001/2000 for quality management, later that same year Private Selection was ranked 6th in the world in Gary Vaynerchuk’s book 101 Wines.
- On May 15, 2009 Wardy received ISO Certificate 9001/2008 for quality management.